Sunday, April 18, 2010

Aisin-Gioro Puyi (1906-1967) - Last Emperor of China

Portrait in Images and Film


I lived in China for a year in the late 80's. And, as foreigners do, developed a more than passing interest in Puyi, the last emperor. Mainly through reading his autobiography, 'From Emperor to Citizen' (ghosted by Li Wenda) which I bought in the bookshop of the Friendship Hotel where I was staying.

Prince Chun Tsai Feng with two sons, Puyi standing



Puyi (1922)

Puyi on the roof of the imperial apartments of the Forbidden City (1920s)

Puyi as Manchukuo Emperor (c1925)


Puyi at the Summer Palace, north-western Beijing



I've long been planning a follow-up to an earlier post on my stay in the PRC ... and, as there's no time like the present, ...


... a small portrait of the the last emperor in photographs and archival film footage.

No comments:

Post a Comment