Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Postscript to 'Hadrosaur or Duck-Billed Dinosaur Skin'


After posting on Hadrsaur skin and things, I remembered something amazing given to me by my grandmother. It was a 360 million year old fossil of jellyfish, which left fern-like skeleton traces in limestone called graptolites. The specimen was found by Mr A Keble in 1936 at Sheepwash Creek, near Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. One half was presented to an American academic on a three-month sabbatical from Berkley University, an Associate Professor W. Berry. The other half was given to the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford University.

One of my fav-or-ite things!

For Volker.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Nick. Much appreciated. Once I'm settled in a new place (and my stuff then comes out of storage), I'll find that photo I took in the late 1960s, the one of the "kettle rocks" at Kettle Point, and then scan the photo so I can post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you appreciated it - and i really look forward to seeing the photos of your 'kettle rocks'.

    ReplyDelete